Olivia Byely is a Senior at Trader’s Point Christian Academy High School. We conducted a brief interview with her to chat about why she chose to go on this mission trip and her experience thus far.
* Why did you decide to go on this trip?
– “I love and know the Julians and am friends with Lindsay (Davis). I heard about the medical clinic and am interested in pursuing nursing when I graduate from high school.”
* How is this trip working with your school schedule?
– “I go to a Christian school, and my Principal was ok with it. The Christian aspect fits in with our school mission.”
* Has God “stretched you” so far during this trip?
– “A lot. This was going out on a limb. I’ve never done anything like this. Knowing that I’m one of the main Spanish speakers in the group adds pressure. I felt overwhelmed at first while working in the medical clinic on Sunday. I really felt like I was helping and it was glorifying to God.
* What do you hope to accomplish this trip?
– “A deeper connection with God and to strengthen my Spanish skills. I am interested in travel with a nursing degree and want to see what that is like in another country.”
* What do you think so far?
– “It’s different from anything I’ve ever done. I fell more of God’s presence. There is less distraction that other trips because of fewer family and friends. I love the unity on our team.”